As the warmer weather approaches and we find outselves leaving the house without a wool cap and gloves, here are some March gardening tips for Mid-Atlantic gardeners. Even on this rainy day you can start making plans for your March garden work, incuding bulb planting. Pictured are Narcissus bulbs I’m preparing to plant.
* Once the soil warms and dries plant summer bulbs
* Hardy annuals can go out even if we’re expect another frost
* Plant shrubs when the ground warms — it’s a good time to transplant trees and shrubs that are currently in your landscape
* Apply fertilizer to woody plants even though they are still dormant * Prune roses before the buds break
* Prune broken branches from trees and shrubs